Friday, May 8, 2009

Thinking of you, Mom.


I just got Refinery 29's most fashionable moms email and it made me think...
My mom is so much more than fashionable, oh goodness, she's fashionable! But her style goes so far beyond fashion. She was the mom who used to tell me animals waved at me when I was never looking! I remember late at night in my pj's her holding fabrics up to measure my little shoulders, and in the morning -there'd be a dress. I remember the way she looked at my dad, and the way they danced. I remember thinking she was the most elegant woman in the world. I grew up to realize that that this was true. But it wasn't because of the way she dressed (although to this day she is always impeccably dressed, hello!). It is the way she loves. Fiercely and with incredible loyalty. She loved us enough to let us fail and learn to stand ourselves up. She loved us enough to tell us when she didn't approve. And she loved us enough to stand back, with tears in her eyes, giving us all the credit for what we know she prayed into our lives. xoxo


ps. This is my niece in the pic, not me. Some would say by our look and humor, "whatever same thing."

6 comments:

  1. Such touching words! I imagine your mother would say the same lovely things about you...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a sweet, sweet post! A lovely tribute to your mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a great Mother's day with my son (he calls it "Mudder's" Day!). I wore your "Jenna" skirt as a dress to celebrate and was promptly invited to a pre-school graduation party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this when I miss you ..which is often.
    Love that you know that when I stood back , it was to watch you succeed. You have made me very proud.
    oxxooxoox
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Heidi,

    I know your mom, and I agree with you wholeheartedly. She is one amazingly talented, loving, and oh-so-fun lady. You are the apple that fell under a very good tree! And you have done very well on your own!

    ReplyDelete